If you ever have any questions about safety, please call JPS Oil Propane, Inc.
- Propane has a specially added odorant to alert you that it is present. If you ever smell propane in your home, shut off your tank immediately and call your propane provider.
- Know how to shut off your propane tank.
- Do not try to judge if a leak is serious or not. Any leak is serious.
- A propane detector is a great idea, especially in homes where an individual’s sense of smell had been compromised (the elderly, smokers, etc.).
- Propane is heavier than air, and thus settles in low-level areas, such as basements. Be aware of this if you do not frequently enter your basement.
- Fuel oil has a very pungent odor. If you smell it, contact your heating fuel provider immediately.
- Visually inspect your heating fuel tank for rust spots or leaks.